Crowdfunding Roundup: Some winners and some sluggish starters
Each week, TUAW supplies readers with an replace on new or vital crowdfunded Apple-associated tasks within the information. Whereas our coverage is to not go into element on gadgets that have not reached at the least eighty % of their funding objective, this replace is designed to provide readers a heads-up on tasks they could discover fascinating sufficient to again.
Wow, we’re listening to about a variety of Kickstarter and Indiegogo campaigns which might be figuratively “knocking it out of the park” by not solely assembly, however exceeding their funding objectives. Let’s check out what’s out on Kickstarter this week:
- Boldy is a brand new magnetic iPad and iPhone mount that makes use of a curved, half-egg formed mount with a “cup” on the again of a particular case to create an amazingly adjustable setup. It has a little bit of a methods to go to succeed in funding, because it’s solely at about 10.7 % funding. Thankfully, the marketing campaign goes for an additional forty five days. For those who’re one of many three people on the planet who does not have no less than one system mount, Boldy appears like it’s undoubtedly value ready for.
- OK, so a few of you younger punks do not even know what a typewriter is/was, however if in case you have any love in any respect for retro tech you are going to love the Qwerkywriter. It is a typewriter-impressed mechanical keyboard that’s simply flippin’ lovely. Goals do not turn out to be actuality with out your backing, although — with three weeks to go, the Qwerkywriter marketing campaign has solely raised about 35 % of funding. Please again this undertaking so I can fake I am typing on my grandmother’s previous Underwood typewriter.
- We already had a full publish concerning the Edyn related backyard equipment earlier this week, however the marketing campaign on Kickstarter continues to be underway. If you wish to make your gardening a bit bit simpler, to have the ability to perceive what is going on on with these crops, again this challenge. Edyn has already made funding — it is 181 % funded with 27 days to go — however can all the time use extra money to assist get manufacturing up and operating.
- TUAW readers know that I am fascinated with the “Web of every part”, and I’ve sensors, switches, and webcams nearly all over the place in my home to see what is going on on and provides me management from anyplace I occur to be. Nicely, oort is wanting a making a unified ecosystem of merchandise related to your iPhone or iPad by way of a small puck-like hub. Having simply launched, the oort undertaking is just at 2.1 % of funding, however I anticipate it to take off.
- Ever heard of “juice jacking”? It is a technique of compromising a smartphone or pill that is plugged right into a USB port for charging. Now, whereas so far as I do know this has by no means been a problem, LA-based mostly SparqEE needs to ensure it by no means occurs to you. How are they doing this? With the Umbrella USB, which is principally a tiny USB adapter that passes energy to your juice-hungry system however no knowledge. In different phrases, it is a strategy to cease somebody from infecting your units with malware should you occur to plug into the fallacious USB port… 112 % funded with three weeks to go!
- This is a good way to get women inquisitive about coding: APPALOOSA! is a cellular app prototyping package that mixes tales, provides and supply information to get younger women inquisitive about app improvement. The challenge has modest objectives and is fortuitously virtually midway to its funding aim with 39 days to go. This ought to be a simple undertaking to push excessive, and it is a very worthy Kickstarter.
- As an example that you simply occur to personal a really good, costly Breitling watch. Are you going to provide that up for some “sensible watch” anytime quickly? In all probability not. That is why Look is sensible — it is a digital accent that matches beneath a watchband and works with smartphone apps to give you info, all when you’re utilizing your favourite watch. Regretfully, at solely 25 % funding with three weeks to go, Look might not make it into manufacturing with out your assist.
- And eventually, we head over to Indiegogo the place the Pouff3D 3D scanner is making an attempt to get off the bottom. Perhaps it is the identify; maybe it is the concept not everybody wants a smartphone-related 3D scanner that appears like a bizarre piece of front room furnishings. Anyway, the undertaking might be going to die an early demise; it has solely captured $88 of an $eighty five,000 objective with sixteen days to go.
And that, my buddies, is it for this week within the wild and wacky world of crowdfunding. Come again subsequent week once we’ll see what new concepts (and doubtless much more smartphone/pill mounts) present up. Thanks once more to Hal Sherman for offering recommendations on numerous the tasks. Should you’re conscious of another crowdfunded Apple-associated tasks, be sure you tell us about them via the Tip Us button on the higher proper of the TUAW residence web page for future itemizing on the location.