Cooking with Watson: Swiss-Thai asparagus quiche
Cognitive Cooking with Chef Watson is a collaboration between IBM and the Institute of Culinary Schooling in New York Metropolis. As soon as every week, as a part of an ongoing collection, we’ll be getting ready one recipe from the guide till we have made all of them. Want us luck.
One other week, one other quiche. I can not say I went into this one with excessive hopes after final week’s funky salmon quantity. However, at the least there isn’t any fish right here. As an alternative you’ve got received a touch of south-east Asian flavors, some asparagus and a buttery, flaky crust. That is just about a variation on the method that produced Watson’s largest success, the turmeric paella — mix the flavors of 1 area, with the presentation of one other, and voilà! The Swiss-Thai asparagus quiche places the flavors Thailand (and a touch of Greece) in an open-prime custard pastry typically related to French delicacies. And as soon as once more, IBM’s cognitive computing efforts achieve pushing its human chef interpreters to make one thing distinctive.
Just like the Scandinavian salmon quiche, this recipe begins with an epic record of elements. And fortunately, like that recipe, virtually all of them are extremely straightforward to seek out. The one factor which may show considerably troublesome is lemongrass. Although, in case you stay anyplace close to an Asian specialty meals retailer or grocery store you ought to be positive. Plus, there’s this factor referred to as the web, you may need some luck there.
This quiche additionally makes use of a unique dough for the tart shell, referred to as pate croustade. That is flakier and extra buttery crust than the pasta frolla. It is also far more fragile. I tore fairly numerous holes within the dough whereas making an attempt to unfold it out to line my tart rings. This distinction is partially because of the distinction in the best way the 2 doughs are constructed. The place because the pasta frolla used the “biscuit technique” of slicing chilly, strong fats into your dry elements (flour, salt, and so forth…), the pate croustade makes use of the muffin technique, which depends on liquid fats — on this case, melted butter. Since “muffin” sort doughs are combined much less there are bigger, irregular pockets of fats left and gluten has much less of an opportunity to take maintain and create a troublesome crust. Biscuit doughs however depend on coating the flour granules in fats to inhibit the event of gluten bonds, which leads to a extra uniform texture.
Truthfully, getting the dough proper is the hardest half; every thing else is fairly straight ahead. Steep the lemongrass and coriander in some milk and pressure it. Blanch the asparagus for 30 seconds in water till simply cooked after which shock in ice to stop them from over-cooking. You then’re just about combining all of your dairy, spices and eggs in a bowl, dividing it between the shells, topping with the asparagus and baking for 15 to twenty minutes.
Like I stated final month, quiches are fairly straightforward.
I ended up with a variety of undesirable left overs once I made the Scandinavian salmon quiche. Not so with the Swiss-Thai asparagus ones. There weren’t many left overs to talk of, they usually have been very a lot needed. Actually, I had a second one for breakfast the subsequent day. The place because the combo of gruyere and fish turned off my style testers final week, the marginally funky swiss cheese right here was balanced out by the spice of the curry powder, the brightness of the lemon grass and the briny deliciousness of the feta. The flavour was virtually refreshing, in reality… nicely, as refreshing as eggs baked in a pastry crust could be. Everybody took a beat after placing the primary chew of their mouths, considerably confused by the dance of flavors that Watson put collectively. However that pause shortly melted into nice shock as chew after chew disappeared till there was no quiche left.
Swiss-Thai Asparagus Quiche
Scant teaspoon wonderful sea salt 2 ½ cups all objective flour three tablespoons heat water ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted three egg yolks All function flour, as wanted for rolling Butter, as wanted for greasing ring molds
1. Completely mix the salt and flour within the bowl of an electrical stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
2. Individually, stir collectively the water and butter. Whisk within the egg yolks.
three. Add the liquid combination to the flour in three additions, mixing to supply homogenous dough (it’s regular for the dough to seem barely tough and greasy at this stage).
four. Type the dough right into a flat rectangle and wrap it in plastic movie. Chill for 1 hour.
5. Take half of the dough (reserve different half within the freezer for future use) and roll it out on a flat, flour-dusted work floor to create 1/eight-inch thick rectangle measuring 8X12-inches. Switch the sheet of dough to the fridge and let it relaxation for 20 minutes.
6. Minimize four circles from the dough, every measuring 5 inches in diameter, and punctiliously line the ready four-inch tart rings. Organize the rings on a parchment-lined sheet pan.
7. Blind-bake the tarts in a preheated 320 levels Fahrenheit oven for 12 to fifteen minutes, till the tart shells flip a light-weight golden brown. Take away from the oven and funky utterly.
½ stalk lemongrass, thinly sliced 1 teaspoon coriander seeds ½ cup entire milk ½ cup leeks, white half solely, rinsed and finely chopped 1 tablespoon unsalted butter High-quality sea salt, as wanted eight-12 skinny spears asparagus, woody base of stems eliminated, and reduce into 1-inch items Water, as wanted three eggs 1 egg yolk ¼ cup heavy cream 2 tablespoons plain entire milk yogurt ¼ teaspoon delicate curry powder Freshly floor black pepper, as wanted ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese ½ cup Gruyere, grated, divided 1 tablespoon recent parsley, finely chopped, divided
1. Mix the lemongrass, coriander seeds, and milk in a small saucepan and gently warmth to a simmer. Take away from the warmth and infuse for 10 to fifteen minutes. Pressure the milk and funky, discarding the lemongrass and coriander.
2. In the meantime, warmth a small sauté pan and slowly sweat the leeks within the butter, including salt to style. Proceed to prepare dinner till the leeks are delicate, however not browned. Take away from the warmth and funky.
three. Convey a small saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus items and blanch for about 30 seconds. Shock asparagus with chilly water and drain.
four. Place the entire eggs and egg yolk in a bowl, whisking to mix. Add the infused milk, cream, yogurt, curry powder, black pepper, and extra salt to style. Fold within the cooled leeks, feta, half of the Gruyere, and half of the chopped parsley.
5. Divide the quiche combination among the many baked tart shells (for greatest outcomes, hold the shells within the tart rings through the baking course of). Add a number of items of asparagus to every quiche and prime with the reserved Gruyere.
6. Bake in a preheated 320 levels Fahrenheit oven for 15 to twenty minutes, till set and really frivolously browned.
7. Take away the quiches from the oven and funky barely. Earlier than serving, sprinkle the tops of every with the remaining chopped parsley.
This recipe and others may be present in Cognitive Cooking with Chef Watson.
Tags: cognitivecomputing, cookbook, cooking, cookingwithwatson, ibm, ICE, InstituteOfCulinaryEducation, kitchen, quiche, watson