Cooking with Watson: Spanish almond crescent
Cognitive Cooking with Chef Watson is a collaboration between IBM and the Institute of Culinary Schooling in New York Metropolis. As soon as every week, as a part of an ongoing collection, we’ll be getting ready one recipe from the guide till we have made all of them. Want us luck.
Watson’s newest problem to my self-worth and sanity, the Spanish almond crescent, is the primary dessert within the Cognitive Cooking e-book. And it is an extremely difficult one. However, I am going to say this up entrance, when you put within the effort, the payoff is nicely value it. These pastries are fairly distinctive and scrumptious. They are not so shocking that the primary chew catches you off guard, like say final week’s Swiss-Thai asparagus quiche. However that is a superb factor, these little puffs of candy and savory are totally different, however approachable; unfamiliar, however comforting.
The very first thing to know, is that this recipe takes ceaselessly. The dough must relaxation at room temperature for an hour to bulk ferment. This can introduce some air into the elastic pile of gluten, however it should additionally deliver slightly taste to the get together as nicely. Then you definitely’ll have to roll it out right into a rectangle and its into the fridge for at the very least 12 hours, however as much as 24. You then’ll have to fold within the sheet of olive oil butter you will make, which includes turing, folding and rolling the dough, a number of occasions over the course of ninety minutes. Then you possibly can refrigerate the dough once more if you would like or you will get proper to assembling the pastries. I recommend you set the dough again within the fridge for at the least a short while nevertheless, as it should be very smooth and really sticky. Chilling it earlier than shifting on to meeting will make the dough simpler to work with. Oh, as soon as you’ve got completed rolling, slicing and filling the little strips of dough, you want to proof the pastries for an additional hour.
Yet one more notice concerning the dough: It’s dense. Like modeling clay dense. After placing collectively this recipe I’ve to take my stand mixer in for restore because it looks like the dough managed to bust a gear in my KitchenAid.
The flaky, virtually puff pastry-like dough brings the sweetness of honey and coconut milk along with the pucker of lemon extract and the savory smoothness of olive oil. That specific profile of flavors carries over to the cream filling which, once more, depends on coconut milk, honey and lemon extract for taste. However it additionally incorporates the grassy heat of saffron and the chew of recent cracked black pepper which supplies a delicate savory spine. Then you definitely add the darkish chocolate which performs off the sweetness of the coconut milk and the delicate bitterness of the saffron and you have got a magical mixture that I can not say I might ever have considered. So, thanks Watson.
Not the whole lot right here was pure gold, nevertheless. The almonds (I used slivered as an alternative of sliced ‘trigger it is what I had available) do not actually appear so as to add a lot to the dish. A sprinkle of sea salt and powdered sugar on prime, although, was perfection. The larger drawback right here is the shortage of readability with a few of the directions. For instance, the recipe asks you to make a glaze of coconut milk and honey, however by no means tells you ways or when to use it. I additionally ended up with far more saffron pastry cream than wanted for the batch of dough I made. My plan is to exit and decide up some frozen puff pastry sheets from the shop hope that the combo of darkish chocolate and saffron nonetheless work superbly even when the dough is not laced with honey and lemon.
As soon as once more although, Watson, with assist from his human interpreters, turned out one thing fairly spectacular: An sudden mix of flavors that wasn’t in in the least difficult. And that’s evidenced by the truth that my style testers demolished all the batch of pastries in two days. The extent of dedication have to make the honey-leon danish dough means I am going to in all probability by no means make this specific recipe ever once more, however I can not say that IBM’s tremendous pc let me down.
Spanish Almond Crescent
Honey-Lemon Danish Dough 2 cups all-function flour 1 ½ teaspoons effective sea salt 1 tablespoon honey 1 ½ dry on the spot yeast ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons entire milk 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon coconut milk ¼ teaspoon lemon extract 2 teaspoons olive oil 1 egg ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened 1 tablespoon olive oil All objective flour, as wanted for rolling
1. Place the flour and salt into the bowl of an electrical stand mixer, and mix nicely with the paddle attachment. Add the honey, yeast, milk, coconut milk, lemon extract, oil and egg. Combine on low till the mass comes collectively.
2. Improve the mixer velocity and proceed to work the dough till robust and elastic (about four minutes).
three. Cowl with plastic wrap and permit the dough to bulk ferment 1 hour at room temperature.
four. Punch down the dough and roll right into a rectangle measuring roughly 8X16 inches. Switch the dough sheet to a parchment-lined baking pan and refrigerate for no less than 12 hours, or as much as 24 hours.
5. Mix the softened butter and olive oil, and blend completely to mix. Unfold the butter combination onto a sheet of parchment paper reduce to 8X8 inches, making certain a good thickness and a clear, sq. form. Wrap and chill.
6. To start the rolling course of, place the chilled dough sheet onto a flippantly floured work floor and place the butter rectangle over one half of the dough (the rectangle of dough ought to be roughly twice the dimensions of the butter). Fold the dough over the butter to surround, and pinch the sides of the dough collectively.
7. Shift the dough ninety° in order that the shorter finish of the rectangle is dealing with you and roll the dough in a single path to create an extended rectangle measuring about 8X24 inches.
eight. Brush off any extra flour and fold the rectangle into thirds, as one would fold a letter. That is the primary single flip. Place the dough within the fridge and permit to relaxation half-hour earlier than rolling and finishing the second flip.
9. In the identical method as with the primary flip, roll the dough to roughly the identical dimensions and fold into thirds a second time. Relaxation a further half-hour beneath refrigeration.
10. Full the third and remaining flip, additionally with a 30-minute resting interval. At this level the dough can stay within the fridge for as much as 12 hours.
Egg wash, as wanted Saffron pastry cream (recipe follows) three ounces chopped darkish chocolate, or miniature bittersweet chocolate chips 1 cup sliced, uncooked almonds Confectioners sugar, as wanted
1. When able to roll, minimize, and form the pastries, divide the dough in half and roll every portion to a rectangle measuring roughly 9X8 inches and simply lower than three/eight-inch thick.
2. Mark three-inch increments alongside the size of the dough, and a couple of-inch increments alongside the width to create about 12 rectangles.
three. Frivolously brush every rectangle with the egg wash and apply a skinny line of the saffron pastry cream and a few of the chocolate alongside one edge and gently roll, leaving the seam on the underside. Utilizing a pointy knife, minimize four incisions alongside one edge and pull the ends collectively to type a slight U-form reverse from the aspect the place incisions are.
four. Switch the formed pastries to a parchment-lined sheet pan, loosely cowl with plastic, and permit to slowly proof at a heat room temperature for 1 to 2 hours (or till almost doubled in measurement).
5. When absolutely proofed, gently brush crescents with the egg wash and prime with sliced almonds. Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F 15 to twenty minutes, or till a deep golden brown. Take away from the oven and funky.
Saffron Pastry Cream
1 ¾ cups coconut milk Pinch saffron ¼ cup plus 2 teaspoons honey 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 egg 1 egg yolk 1/three cup pastry flour Pinch kosher salt Pinch black pepper
1. Mix the milk, saffron, honey, and lemon oil in a small saucepot and convey to a simmer. Take away from warmth and put aside
2. In a separate bowl, whisk collectively egg, egg yolk, pastry flour, salt, and pepper.
three. Slowly whisk the recent milk into egg combination, then return to range and prepare dinner, stirring continuously till thickened. Take away from warmth and hold stirring to chill barely.
1 cup coconut milk 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons honey
1. Mix the coconut milk and honey in a small pan. Convey to a simmer and prepare dinner till decreased by half.
Unique Dough Recipe (with out butter)
1 ¾ cups coconut milk 1 ¼ cups heavy cream three tablespoons wildflower honey 2 tablespoon yeast 1 egg three 1/three cups flour ½ teaspoon black pepper
1. Mix the cream and honey in a saucepot and warmth to about one hundred°F. Take away from warmth
2. Mix the flour and black pepper in an electrical mixer match with a dough hook. Being mixing and sprinkle the yeast over the cream. Let stand 1 minute, then whisk to mix. Beat the egg into the combination and pour within the liquid elements. Combine till the dough types a decent ball. Let relaxation quarter-hour.
three. Comply with meeting directions from the earlier dough recipe, however don’t reduce with incisions.
four. To prepare dinner crammed pastries, warmth a pot of oil to 350°F. Fry the crescents for about ninety to one hundred twenty seconds, turning typically in order that they prepare dinner evenly. Take away to a paper towel-lined tray to empty.
This recipe and others might be present in Cognitive Cooking with Chef Watson.
Tags: CognitiveComputing, cognitivecooking, cookingwithwatson, IBM, ICE, InstituteOfCulinaryEducation