April Fools’ Day roundup: Google overload version
Ah, April 1st. It is that point of the yr once more when the web is rife with odd information and pranks. As earlier than, information websites like us find yourself with a wholesome stream of ideas all through April Fools’ Day (thanks, by the best way), so allow us to spherical up a few of the greatest findings on your comedic urge for food. Contenders embrace the standard suspects like Google and ThinkGeek, the previous of which dominating the gigglesphere this yr with some new “options.” We even have some fascinating submissions from Hulu, a font firm, and doubtless a lot extra to return because the day progresses, so hold watching this area as we add new entries to this publish. Proper, let the enjoyable begin after the break.
First up, we have now a number of new options from Google, beginning with Gmail Movement and Docs Movement which supply “intuitive, ergonomic” gesture management to exchange your outdated keyboard-and-mouse combo. However should you’re extra of a Google Voice individual, then you definitely may discover the Voice-alyzer useful — it is merely an anti-drunk calling or texting device for these particular nights out. Come on, we have all been there.
Additionally from Mountain View is a brand new job itemizing for a Google Autocompleter. That is proper, seems each single search on Google is actively monitored by human staffers, who’re capable of present on the spot ideas in your incomplete entries. Take a look at what autocomplete veteran Michael Taylor has to say about his thrilling obligation.
Oh, we’re not fairly executed with Google but. This yr, YouTube’s at it once more with a brand new video enhancing function: a button that transforms any clip to a grainy 1911 movement image, garnished with basic piano soundtrack. Alas, it seems that solely YouTubers in sure nations have such privilege, however the remainder of the world can nonetheless admire YouTube’s very personal remix — as proven above — for this event.
Taking us again to the longer term is Hulu’s revamped homepage, albeit in 1996 type. Keep in mind HTML frames? Netscape? Good occasions.
OK, so that you need precise merchandise, or at the least merchandise that seem like they may make it to the cabinets. In that case, head over to ThinkGeek, who’s once more providing a variety of well timed merchandise for some giggles. One such supply is that this PLAYMOBIL Apple Retailer playset, which helps you to create your very personal mini line for a mini product launch. In the event you’ve obtained the munchies, maybe some Indignant Birds Pork Rinds may curiosity you?
Comedian Sans Professional. No, actually.
Replace: As promised, this is some extra LOL time to share with you all:
- Google’s on hearth at this time! Have a go at looking for “Helvetica” or “Comedian Sans” in your desktop browser, and in addition attempt wanting up “kittens” in your Android system. Cute.
- One other nice Google entry: in case you have Chrome put in, take a look at the ChromeLite extension which shows all web sites in pure textual content for the sake of load time. In contrast to the aforementioned Google “options,” this extension truly works, although the textual content conversion can take some time on some websites.
- Google Labs provides a cow to its physique browser.
- xkcd is now xk3d. As you’ll be able to inform by the identify, our favourite webcomic is now extra superior in 3D!
- Talking of 3D, Toshiba’s simply introduced the world’s first 3D monocle. Now you’ll be able to let one eye relaxation whereas the opposite one takes the pressure. How considerate.
- This is one thing for the hardcore players: Razer thinks bio-exoskeleton is the approach to push your fingers past their restrict, so take a look at its Talon glove for some epic pwnage at your subsequent LAN celebration. Oh, and do not forget the Razer snake oil when you’re at it — chafing is your biggest enemy.
- Swype takes cellular textual content enter to the subsequent degree with Thynk. That is proper, swiping is so yesterday; it is all about mind waves nowadays — simply assume and ye shall sort. Privateness might be a problem, although.
- The Linux warfare is over! Debian, Gentoo, Grml, openSUSE and Arch Linux have lastly joined forces to ship the Canterbury distribution.
- Roku’s about to money in additional promoting cash with its new branded distant. Yuck.
- Astro Gaming pronounces “The Gold Version” line of gaming gear, together with an A40 headset, an Xbox 360 controller, a MixAmp 5.eight Rx wi-fi receiver, and an city lanyard. 22K strong gold, child!
- Kodak’s provide you with the Relationshiffft app — a crafty know-how that utilises facial recognition and particular nano ink pigment, with a purpose to make the offending individual disappear in your pictures as soon as your relationship standing modifications. Oh, and Kodak’s already engaged on model 2.zero which can allow you to restore the photographs, in case you and your ex get again collectively.
- NVIDIA brings again 3dfx, pronounces Voodoo 590.
- Immediately’s Bing.com image includes a LOLseal.
- Fox information anchor checks out the world’s first cellular app that allows you to style and odor issues proper in your telephone, courtesy of piezoelectricity.
- Not digging the iPad’s keyboard and lacking the basic typewriter? Spinning Hat has a retro answer for you: the Typescreen. Apparently, this e-tailer additionally has a “Blood Tub” vary of merchandise, they usually aren’t only for April Fools’…
- HTML5? How about some HTML11 motion, with added help for brand spanking new tags like <wind>, <xray>, <odor>, and so forth. Presumably new hardware will probably be required as nicely.
Tags: 1911, 1996, 3D, indignant birds, indignant birds pork rinds, AngryBirds, AngryBirdsPorkRinds, apple, apple retailer, AppleStore, april fools, april fools day, AprilFools, AprilFoolsDay, Astro, Astro Gaming, AstroGaming, autocomplete, autocompleter, physique browser, BodyBrowser, Canterbury, Chrome, chrome extension, ChromeExtension, ChromeLite, comedian sans, comedian sans professional, ComicSans, ComicSansPro, cow, docs, docs movement, DocsMotion, extension, font, gmail, gmail movement, GmailMotion, google, google autocomplete, google physique browser, Google Chrome, google docs, google docs movement, Google Labs, Google Labs physique browser, google voice, GoogleAutocomplete, GoogleBodyBrowser, GoogleChrome, GoogleDocs, GoogleDocsMotion, GoogleLabs, GoogleLabsBodyBrowser, GoogleVoice, HTML11, hulu, hulu 1996, Hulu1996, Linux, monocle, monotype, monotype imaging, MonotypeImaging, playmobil, pork rinds, PorkRinds, Razer, Razer Talon, RazerTalon, Roku, Swype, Talon, thinkgeek, Toshiba, toy, video, Voice-alyzer, xk3d, xkcd, youtube, youtube 1911, Youtube1911