Apple, FAA Investigating After iPhone Catches Hearth Mid-Flight

The FAA and Apple are investigating after a young person’s iPhone burst into flames mid-air on a flight to Hawaii.

Spring-break-sure sophomore Anna Crail was watching a film on Thursday when her iPhone spontaneously caught hearth over the Pacific. "Unexpectedly there was like eight-inch flames popping out of my telephone," she advised KOMO Information.

The teenager panicked, telling KOMO that she thought the aircraft "was taking place." "I flipped it off onto the bottom, and it received underneath somebody’s seat, and the flames have been simply getting larger, and a bunch of individuals stood up," she stated.

The Alaska Airways flight was carrying 163 passengers from Bellingham, Washington.

The flight crew managed to place out the hearth, and no accidents have been reported.

It’s unknown what induced the seemingly innocuous telephone to catch hearth. However an identical incident occurred final yr when a teen’s iPhone burst into hearth on her approach to faculty. And simply this previous December, an Atlanta man’s iPhone caught hearth in his pocket. Specialists say the trigger could possibly be the telephone’s lithium battery overheating.

Though it might be troublesome to implement a no-telephones ban on most flights, if such incidents improve then airways — or producers — might need to provide you with an answer to make sure passenger security.