Apple broadcasts Fusion Drive
Apple has pulled one sudden rabbit out of its hat immediately, the Apple Fusion Drive. It is a mixture of SSD and HDD know-how. Fusion Drive is a part of the brand new iMac simply introduced, and is a know-how supported by Mountain Lion. In idea, it is just like auto-tiering that’s utilized in enterprise environments.
In apply, Apple is providing a 128 GB SDD with a 1 TB or three TB HDD drive which might be mixed with sensible software program. The OS will monitor which apps you employ probably the most and runs them from the SDD. Apple claims that, when the system is idle, it makes use of 50 % much less energy than a regular arduous drive.
No phrase on whether or not this tech will hit different Apple merchandise however it’s logical. I might like to see exterior drives with this configuration as properly.
- Key specs
- <a href=”http://www.engadget.com/merchandise/apple/imac/27-inch-with-retina-5k-show/late-2014/” title=”Apple iMac 27-inch with Retina 5K show (late 2014) critiques” goal=”_blank”> Evaluations • three </a>
- Sort All-in-one
- Display measurement 27 inches
- Bundled OS Mac OS (Yosemite [10.10])
- CPU household Core i5
- Processor velocity three.5 GHz
- System RAM eight GB
- Exhausting drive(s) 1 TB&#one hundred sixty;(complete)
- Launched 2014-10-20